Certified Fraud Examiner
BiggsKofford is retained by businesses and attorneys to help analyze, interpret, summarize and present complex financial and business related issues in a manner that is both understandable and properly supported. When engaged by attorneys, the cases sometimes involve forensic accounting, financial or economic analysis, tax analysis and so forth. Much depends on the expert witness being credible, objective, experienced and a good communicator. As a result, our expert reports for these engagements are often used in court, and we may be called on as an expert witness, expressing expert opinion at trial.
Michael McDevitt, a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), leads BiggsKofford’s litigation support and forensic accounting team. He and his team perform a variety of forensic accounting work for trial attorneys and business owners. He authors expert witness reports related to litigation matters and also testifies as a CPA expert witness on trials of complex business and personal cases involving all aspects of financial matters. He has testified on financial matters related to both criminal and civil matters.
Financial facts often cannot speak for themselves. These facts are complex and need to be interpreted in a way that makes them clear to the attorney. Michael believes one of his most important roles is to work with businesses on forensic accounting matters or attorneys on litigation matters to help them understand the financial facts related to their case. With this understanding, as well as being able to partner with a financial expert who can clearly present and translate these facts at trial, the attorney or business owner is better prepared to build his or her case.
Areas of support offered:
- Business disputes
- Business interruption
- Commercial litigation
- Corporate damages
- Economic damages & losses
- Estate & trust
- Financial analysis
- Forensic analysis & investigation
- Lost profits
- Real estate
How can BiggsKofford be of assistance?
We see our role as someone who can look beyond the numbers and deal with the business reality of the situation and interpret them in a way that judges, juries or business owners can understand. The following are examples of areas that BiggsKofford can provide valuable service:
- Assistance in obtaining and analyzing documentation necessary to support or refute a claim
- Review and analysis of the relevant facts and supporting documentation to form a financial expert assessment of the claim
- Assistance with discovery process, including the formation of questions to be asked regarding the financial evidence
- Review of the opposing expert’s report and reporting on both the strengths and weaknesses of the positions taken
- Act as expert financial witness, during deposition process and at trial
- Assistance with settlement discussions and negotiations
- Attend trial to hear the testimony of the opposing expert and to provide assistance with cross-examination
If you are involved in litigation or feel there may be a situation of fraudulent accounting occuring in your business, please contact Michael McDevitt.